Help us make a real difference for low income and disadvantaged consumers.
Consumer Action Law Centre has an opportunity for an experienced Media and Communications Officer to join our Policy and Campaigns team. Reporting to the Director of Policy and Campaigns, The Media and Communications Officer is the first point of contact and coordinator of media enquiries directed to the centre, and the primary source of expertise in internal and external communications.
Consumer Action Law Centre is an independent, not-for profit consumer organisation based in Melbourne. We work to advance fairness in consumer markets, particularly for disadvantaged and vulnerable consumers, through financial counselling, legal advice and representation, and policy work and campaigns. Delivering assistance services to Victorian consumers, we have a national reach through our deep expertise in consumer law and policy and direct knowledge of the consumer experience of modern markets.
The Policy and Campaigns team builds on the experiences of our clients which forms the evidence base for our advocacy efforts, and engages with government, regulators, media, industry and community in pursuit of enforcement action, law reform and sound policy for low income and vulnerable consumers.
You have a tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline, such as media and communications or public relations. You’ve developed your specialist writing, editing and verbal communications skills through at least 2 years’ experience in a media and communications role. You have a demonstrated commitment to advancing the public interest and social justice, and are adept at framing campaign messages appropriate to the social and political landscape.
As comfortable in front of a camera or on radio as you are meeting with journalists and preparing press releases, you enjoy turning complex judicial and legislative arguments into succinct, engaging content.
In this role, you’ll have accountability for co-ordination and direction of media contacts and enquiries. You will establish and maintain relationships with journalists, reporters and public service media advisers with an interest in Consumer Action’s services and campaigns. You’ll work directly with consumers, including Consumer Action clients, to encourage, coordinate and support their involvement in media activities. As well as producing internal and stakeholder newsletters, you will lead the content management and provide design support for the Consumer Action website, including generating and updating content or sourcing content from other Consumer Action staff.
This is a full-time role located at our offices in Melbourne CBD. The salary range offered shall be between $73,000 and $76,000 commensurate with experience, plus superannuation. Consumer Action Law Centre offers salary packaging therefore depending upon personal financial circumstances the value of the salary may be equivalent to up to $8,700 higher.
Please submit your application to:
Human Resources Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Media & Communications Officer application.
Closing date is 6 March 2015.
Your application should include:
- Cover Letter
- Statement addressing Key Selection Criteria (see below)
Key Selection Criteria – Media and Communications Officer
- Experience: Significant experience in a media and communications role, with a proven ability to identify media and communications opportunities based on the Centre’s casework, a clear understanding of the relationship between client advocacy and systemic advocacy and the ability to frame campaign messages appropriate to the social and political landscape.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear and interesting way; understands the target audience and the objectives of the communication; uses feedback to refine communication; proven capacity to confidently undertake public speaking and represent the organisation through public consultation and media avenues, using a range of communications styles and media channels including electronic & social networks.
- Teamwork: Cooperates and works well with others; shows consideration, concern and respect for others’ feelings and ideas; accommodates and works well with the different working styles of others, and treats all people with dignity and respect.
- Integrity: Driven to pursue excellence. Works effectively with high degree of autonomy and accountability, and can demonstrate flexibility, initiative and creativity, sound time management and ability to deal with competing priorities under pressure.
A full Position Description is available here.